- Wrap and tie parsley, thyme, bay and rind the green part of a leek leaf to make a bouquet garni.
- Place chicken bones and water in a large saucepan or stockpot. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, skimming any impurities from the surface. Add the carrot, onion, leek, celery, garlic and bouquet garni and return to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3 hours skimming regularly.
- Strain the stock through a fine mesh sieve sitting over a large bowl and discard the solids. Do not press on the vegetables when straining as it will reduce the clarity of the stock).
- Cool to room temperature then refrigerate until cold. The fat will solidify on the top of the stock, making it easy to remove and discard.
- Refrigerate for up to 7 days or freeze for up to 3 months
** If freezing, pour into ice cubes for improved portioning