- Boil the potatoes for 15 minutes, adding the cabbage for the final few minutes of cooking.
- Drain, then allow to steam- dry.
- Add butter and milk to the pan, warm through, then mash into the potatoes and cabbage with plenty of seasoning.
- Add mustard to the mixture.
Sausages (while the potatoes are cooking):
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan to a medium heat. Brown the sausages, shallots and carrots for about 5 minutes until nicely golden and the shallots are starting to soften (the sausages should be almost cooked through)
- Remove sausages and set aside.
- Tip off any juices released by the sausages and heat the oven to 180ºC.
- Increase the heat under the pan, tip in the thyme and mushrooms, then fry for approximately 3 minutes until golden.
- Add the wine and reduce by half. Add the stock and caramelised onions.
- Simmer until it has reduced a little to make a shiny gravy, and the carrots are cooked through.
- Season, then add the sausages to the gravy.
- Spoon the mixture into a baking dish.
- Top with the mashed potato, spooning it over in even dollops to prevent the gravy oozing up the sides.
- Covered with foil and bake for approximate half an hour, removing the foil for the final 10 minutes to brown the mash.
- Sprinkle with a little thyme to serve.