- Put the eggs in a saucepan and add enough cold water to cover them by about 4cm. Set the pan over medium-high heat and as soon as the water reaches a brisk simmer, start timing. As the eggs cook, adjust the heat as needed to maintain a brisk simmer. Simmer for approximately 5 minutes (medium cooked egg)
- Shell the cooled cooked eggs.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Mix the soft breadcrumbs, tomato sauce, soy sauce and curry powder into the sausage meat. Divide the mixture evenly into quarters.
- Work the each portion separately with wet hands, to flatten the mixture and wrap the sausage meat around the eggs, pinching it together well at the joins, and keeping a consistent thickness.
- Roll each sausage covered egg in dry breadcrumbs as you go and place each finished egg in a shallow baking tin. (NB/ Using baking paper to line the bottom of the baking tin will make clean up easier)
- Repeat process until all four eggs are constructed.
- Cook in oven for 20-30 minutes until sausage meat is firm
Scotch Eggs can also be deep fried (instead of baked):
Lower prepared eggs into preheated oil to cover the surfaces of the eggs, and cook for about 10 minutes per egg.