- Pile the assortment of vegetables into the middle of a large roasting tray and drizzle with oil.
- Drizzle some oil over the chicken and season well with salt, pepper and desired herbs. Massage over the skin of the bird.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables. Place the tray in the oven, then adjust the heat to 200°C and cook for approximately 1 hour 20 minutes.
- (Approximately 55 minutes per kg + 20 minutes extra or until the internal temperature of the chicken should reach a minimum temperature of 74°C)
- Prepare any vegetables to be roasted (eg. potatoes, kumara, carrot, parsnip) adding to the oven for the last 45 minutes of cooking.
- Baste the chicken halfway through cooking and if the vegetables look dry, add a splash of water to the roasting pan to stop them from burning.
- When the chicken is cooked, take the tray out of the oven and transfer the chicken to a board to rest for approximately 15 minutes or so covering it with a layer of tin foil and a tea towel.
For gravy makers – mash the vegetables that are positioned under the chicken, and combine with the juices from the pan to add extra flavour and depth to the gravy……How to make a Gravy